Anatel adds 29m new connections in 2010 (Brazil)

Brazil has recorded 202.9 million total number of registered SIMs at the end of last year. It recorded a net addition of 29 million phones over the twelve-month period.

The net gain was the second largest annual increase ever reported by National Regulator Anatel; a record 29.7 million new mobile phones were added in 2008. By 31 December 2010 cellular penetration in the country reached 104.7%, with pre-paid services accounting for the overwhelming majority of lines (167.1 million, or 82.3%) and contract customers the remainder (35.8 million, 17.7%).

In addition, GSM continues to be the most popular technology, used by some 87.8% of mobile phones, although Anatel reported 20.6 million 3G connections by the year-end, an increase of 138.1% year-on-year.